Request System Guide
Using the Aerial Imagery Archive Request System
The steps below will guide you through the process of using the Aerial Imagery Archive Request System. Once you submit a request, it will be fulfilled by Aerial Imagery Archive staff quickly and efficiently. Additionally, once you submit an order you will receive an email notification.
Create an account
- On Aerial Archive page, select the ORDER IMAGERY link. This will take you to the Sign In page. If you already have an account, enter your username and password and click Login.
- If you do not have an account, you will need to create one. To begin, click on the CREATE ACCOUNT link at the bottom of the Sign In page. Show me
- Fill in all applicable fields and click the check box to accept the terms and conditions for digital imagery use.
- Click the Create Account button.
- Back on the Sign In page, enter the username and password you created on the previous screen and click Login.
- The Order Information screen will load showing a large button to Create New Order as well a table showing any past orders. Show me
Creating & submitting orders
- Click on the Create New Order button to start a new order.
- This will take you to an Order Details page. This page shows that your order has been created. It is now necessary to add sites to your order. Each order can have many sites or simply a single site. Show me
- Click the Add Site button to tell us about your site.
- On the Create Site page that loads, you can see that there are 5 components that complete a site description. This will allow you to give us as much information describing your site location as possible, as well as letting you select the years/deliverables you are interested in.
- On the Basic Information tab, fill in the available fields.
- Name: Use a name that is recognizable for you – a project number or something as simple as “My House” will work.
- County: If you know what county your site is in, select it from the list. If it crosses multiple counties leave it blank.
- Description: Use the Site Description field to give us additional information about the site location or what specifically you are trying to look for (i.e. the woodlot south-east of this intersection or the business and parking lot at the given address). Don’t worry about an address just yet. There will be space for you to provide an address on the next page.
- Once you have entered information for Name, County and Description, click the Next button to move to the next part of the order process. Show me
- On the Site Location tab, fill in the available fields.
- Provide an address OR coordinates if they are known. If an address does not make sense for your site, there is a place to draw your site boundary on the next page. Show me
- Click the Next button to move to the next tab.
- On the Draw Site tab you can navigate to your site on the map and draw a box to show the area you want covered. If your site is on a county border, this is the best way to see all of the imagery we have available.
- To zoom in on the map use the “+” and “-“ buttons in the upper left of the screen or scroll with your mouse wheel.
- You can also use the search box in the upper right of the screen to search by place or address.
- Click the box labeled “Imagery” in the upper right corner to switch the base map between streets and imagery.
- Once you have found your site, click the Draw button in the top-center of the screen and click and drag on the map to draw a box around your site. Show me
- If you are happy with your box, click the Next button. If not, click the Draw button again to re-draw your site.
- On the file upload tab click the Browse button to select a JPG or PDF from your computer to send along with your order. This is especially helpful if you have a large or irregularly-shaped site.
- Once your attachment is uploaded, you have the options to click a link to view the file or click the button to remove the uploaded attachment. Show me
- Click Next to move to the next tab.
- The Requested Items tab shows all of the available data sets that we have for the county(ies) where your site is located. Use this screen to select what datasets you would like to order and the format they should be delivered in.
- The first several items in the list represent statewide datasets that are available.
- The remaining items are available historic aerial imagery. Note the year, scale and film type.
- When you find a dataset that you want, click the drop-down arrow to select the output format (PDF, Referenced Image or Image).
Note: PDF files and Image Files are each $15, whereas Referenced Images are $30 each.
- Once you have selected the format, click the Add button at the far-right of the table to add the item to your requested items list.
- Continue adding as many items as you are interested in for your site. Show me
- If you change your mind about an item you selected, click the Delete button in the action column of the requested items section. This will remove the item from your requested items and allow you change the format and re-add it from the available items list.
- Once you have selected all of the items you are interested in, click Save.
- A notification window will appear to let you know your site has been saved.
- IMPORTANT: You have not yet submitted your order!
- The order details page will display the site that was just added and the items you requested. Show me
- At this point you can click the Add Site button to add an additional site or click the Modify|Delete buttons to perform those actions.
- If your order is complete, check the box to agree to the data terms and conditions and click the Submit Order button.
- The order will be sent to the staff of the Aerial Imagery Archive at MSU who will begin working on it right away. You will also receive an email confirming that your request has been submitted.
- When your order is completed, you will receive and email from the Archive staff sent through MSU File Depot (a University operated file transfer site). Follow the instructions in the email to download your imagery and order invoice.
Thank you for your order! Please feel free to call the Archive at (517) 355-3771 or email email@example.com if you have any questions.